Saturday, August 5, 2017

Oil Painting on Wood Platter

Just about anything can be a canvas. I typically paint on traditional stretched canvas. But I like experimenting on other surfaces too. One example is today's painting. It's another loon in the water with an autumn scene. But this one is painted on a small wood platter I bought at a thrift store. It's not a big serving tray; only being 13" high and 5.5" at its widest section. Maybe the small platter was meant for something like crackers and cheese. Who knows.

I masked the perimeter so that after I was done that masked section would then be the frame of the painting. I needed to paint the base in white acrylic. It took several coats as the wood was quite dark. Since this was a small surface I needed to take extra care with with details. I'm happy with the end results. I'll eventually put an eye hook on the back so this can be placed on a wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment